Wednesday, April 8, 2020

The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes coloring pages

Country Bunny   White Bunnies with their Fine Houses


This is a new drawing based on the amazing children's book, written in 1939, called The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes.  The book was written by De Bose Heyward based on a story he used to tell his daughter, Jenifer.  The illustrations are amazing.  They were done by Marjorie Flack.  This is a book that was ahead of its time. It celebrates the disenfranchised.  It teaches about working hard, being the best you can be.  It even teaches about racism and celebrates a stay at home mom.  And it says females can do great things.  


Picture of the book.  In fact this is a photo of my missing antique copy.

In the book The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes a country bunny, who is a little girl bunny aspires to be one of the five Easter Bunnies.  She gets made fun of by the jackrabbits and the white bunnies who told her to. "Go home and eat a carrot."  

She marries and has 21 children. . . she IS a rabbit, after all.  She teaches her children in love and she also teaches them to be responsible.  Then the Grandfather Bunny who lives in the Palace of Easter Eggs calls for tryouts for the next Easter Bunny.  I won't tell you more.  But the book is available for only $1.99 on Amazon Kindle.  I know because I could not find my 80-year hardback copy, so I just bought the Kindle version.  I would have gone to Barnes and Noble to get a hard copy, but I am in quarantine, like many of you.  

I liked this book so much that I drew these pictures below in previous years, near Easter.  Tonight I just drew the "White Bunnies with their Fine Houses."  I also wrote a song parody based on this great and inspiring story.  It was inspiring to me, even though when I read it as a little boy I was definitely not a girl.   It was inspiring to me because I had a tracheotomy tube and although I did not know the word, I felt disenfranchised.  I was bullied and could not play sports like the other kids.  This book was inspiring.  

For 11 years I taught Elementary School.  That is when I wrote this song parody.  (I taught Science in Junior High for 16 years.)   And I had some of those kids sing this song too.  First I will post the drawings from previous years, and then I will post the song.  These drawings can be found, in printable form, by clicking on the button up top labeled:  "Holidays."



Country Bunny little girl bunny


Country Bunny kids doing dishes


Country Bunny husband and father
(The husband and father was mentioned in the book 
but not seen in the illustrations, so I did this drawing.



Grandfather Bunny in the Palace of Easter Eggs


Country Bunny delivering Easter Eggs



Country Bunny Song
Sung to the tune of On Top of Old Smokey
By Robin Lyman

A small Country Bunny
Said I'm going to be
A great Easter Bunny
Just you wait and see

She had twenty-one babies
She was wise swift and kind
She was the best bunny
Grandfather could find

He made her a bunny
that brought all the eggs
and gave her some gold shoes
when she hurt her leg

Other Easter Bunnies
Really did not mind
Cause to be Easter Bunnies
You're wise swift and kind

So if you're some bunny
who has a big dream
You may turn out to be
Much more than you seem

No comments:

Post a Comment