Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Parody of the poem Sick with apologies to Shel Silverstein

Not so sick Little Peggy Ann McKay
(Illustration for my parody poem below)
When I was 13 my parents gave the Shel Silverstein book Where The Sidewalk Ends.  It is one of my favorite books.  In fact, I have half of the poems memorized.  I even got a part in a High School play by reciting one of the poems.  

I wrote this parody this morning in response to the COVID 19 Novel Carona Virus pandemic. It came to me that one day,  when school is back in session everywhere, lots of kids will be very happy to be back at school.  I think that maybe it will be true even for kids that formerly did not like school.  So I wrote this parody.  Then I drew the above illustration to go with the poem.  The printable version of the illustration is found by clicking on . . . .All Printables . . . . or . . . . Fantasy, Myths, and Circus.  Scroll to the bottom of the lists to get to this new drawing.  New drawings are always at the bottom of the list.  

With Apologies to Shel Silversrtein
Someday in the Future…
A parody of Sick
By Robin Lyman

I WANT to go to school today
Said little Peggy Ann McKay
Even IF I had the measles and the mumps
or a gash and rash and purple bumps
If my mouth was wet when my throat was dry
If I was going blind in my right eye
Even if my tonsils were as big as rocks
And I’d counted 16 chickenpox
If my leg were cut, and my eyes went blue
Even if I had instamatic flu
If I coughed and sneeze and gasped and choke
Even if my left leg were broke
If my hip hurt when I moved my chin
And my belly button was caving in
If my back was wrenched and my ankle sprained
Even if my ‘pendix pained each time it rained
If my nose were cold and my toes were numb
Even if I had a sliver in my thumb
If my neck were stiff and my voice was weak
If I hardly whispered when I speak
If my tongue was filling up my mouth
Even if all my hair were falling out
If my elbow were bent and my spine wasn’t straight
If my temperature was one-O-eight
If my brain were shrunk and I could not hear
If there was a hole inside my ear
Even if I had a hangnail and my heart was…
What? What’s that you say?
You say the quarantine ended today
I’m going to say something I thought I’d never say

I’m EXCITED to go to school today!


No comments:

Post a Comment