Sunday, May 24, 2020

Memorial Day Salute 2020 Coloring Pages






Thank you goes out to our troops and veterans.  We owe so much to our soldiers and their families.  I have family in the military and my own father was a B-24 Bomber pilot during World War II.  My father taught me to respect the military.  He was in college when Pearl Harbor was bombed.  My dad volunteered for pilot training with his two best friends.  Those two friends died in their planes and never came home to live a long life. 




My dad felt terrible about killing other people.  He used to say that he should be teaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ to those people down there, not bombing them.  He survived the war and went to medical school.  He brought thousands of babies into the world and saved many lives as a family doctor in a small town in rural Utah, USA.  




I watched as my son in law had to leave his young family for a year-long deployment overseas.  We were there for our daughter but it was a difficult year for her with two young children and her husband on the other side of the world.  




So, again, kudos to all you men and women in uniform...and to your families.  I did ROTC (Reserve Officers Training Corps) for 3 years but I got thrown out for sleepwalking (of all things).  I wanted to fly helicopters or be in the Chemical Corps.  In the end, I became a Science Teacher and I loved that.  




About this vehicle just below.  This is a Self Propelled Howitzer called a Paladin.  It weighs 63,600 lbs.  It is 32 feet long.  It is about 10 feet 7 inches tall.  It is 10 feet 4 inches wide.  




Paladins shoot a 155 mm shell.  That is around 6 inches wide.  The Paladin can shoot a shell accurately over 18 miles... with rocket-propelled rounds.  Those are called assisted rounds.  



This is a new drawing. . . so it is available, in printable form, by clicking on the "Vehicles" button at the top of the page.  Then scroll down to the bottom of new drawings.  







Paladin Self Propelled Howitzer


This drawing is available by clicking on "All Printables" or clicking on "Vehicles."  Below are more drawings that are related to our military.  They are from previous posts.  The Paladin is the only new drawing today.  Remember that new drawings are at the bottom of the lists.




B 24 J Liberator
(This was the type of plane that my father flew in World War II.)



P-51 Mustang on D-Day
(My father told me that this US Army Air Corps fighter plane saved his life.)




Devastator TBD Torpedo Bomber
(At the battle of Midway many of these were shot down, but that distracted the Japanese Zero fighter planes so that the American Dive Bombers could target and sink the Japanese Aircraft Carriers.



F4F Wildcat Fighter Plane
This was an American Carrier-Based fighter.


 
F-16 Fighter-Bomber
Also called the Falcon, this is a fighter bomber aircraft.  Personally, I think it is a beautiful plane.







F-35 Fighter-Bomber Jet Aircraft
This plane is the replacement for the F-16.  The F-35 is a stealth plane that is basically invisible to radar.  The local squadron did a fly-over a week or two ago to say thanks to the
first responders and hospital staff who are dealing with the COVID 19 virus pandemic.  I was so impressed that I immediately drew this picture.




Fort and M60 Patton Tank
This was the USA main battle tank during the Cold War.  It had a 105 mm cannon.  It was replaced by the M-1 Abrams Tank.  (I haven;t drawn that one yet.)




World War I era Destroyer
(During the early years of World War II the USA gave 50 of these to Great Britain to help protect convoys from German submarines.)




Destroyer and Submarine  simple drawing





Destroyer from World War II
(This is a Fletcher Class Destroyer.)



Guided Missle Destroyer





Destroyer Latest and Greatest
This is a Stealth destroyer that is pretty much invisible to radar.  








No comments:

Post a Comment