Sunday, February 20, 2022

Firefly Fairies and Night Fairies and Deer Mouse coloring pages



This is a free coloring pages blog.  Today's new drawing is of a Firefly Fairy with both firefly and a deer mouse.  This is a printable drawing if you click on the "Fantasy, Myths, and Circus" button.

I apologize for not posting for a few days.  My recovery from surgery is going pretty rough.  Please include me in your prayers.  My trachea is severely damaged and I am dealing with a 10.5 cm. trach that is in my throat.  I feel grateful that I am yet alive.  It might have easily been otherwise.  

Scroll to the bottom of the page for a surprise! 




Firefly Fairy with Firefly and a Deer Mouse


Since Night Fairies and Firefly Fairies tend to be active at night they also befriend other nocturnal animals besides Fireflies.  Deer Mice are one of those nocturnal animals that often are friendly with Night Fairies and Firefly Fairies. Deer Mice have a large range covering most of North America.  They live up into the edge of the treeline in Northern Canada and Alaska and through most of the USA (except for the southeast section).  They live through much of Mexico and as far south as Central America including Guatemala.  They are absent in some wetter parts of the coasts of North America. 

Deer Mice or the Deer Mouse is a very successful species, possibly because they are active omnivores.  They have been found almost 80 feet above the ground in fir trees.  They eat insects, flowers, leaves, nuts, pine nuts, etc.  They have powerful jaws and hard teeth for cutting through insects' exoskeleton and the seed coat of hard seeds.  

Deer Mice carry a dangerous virus called Hantavirus.  It does not bother them but it can really bother humans.  The virus is found in their feces and urine.  For this reason, a Deer Mice infestation in your home can be quite dangerous.  We knew another Science teacher who swept up the deer mice droppings found in his lab supply room and he got very sick from the Hantavirus.  He had to go on disability.  

If found in your house or garage etc. then the deer mice droppings should be sprayed with disinfectant to kill the virus.  This should be done before sweeping up the droppings.  Vacuuming up the droppings is a bad idea because that might spread the virus more.  

On a more positive note:  Fireflies are amazing animals that have that unique trait of bioluminescence.  This means that they can light up part of their body.  Some deep ocean animals and even some algae have this ability.  Glow Worms have this ability as well.  Until last year I had never seen a firefly in Utah, where we live.  But I saw some last summer in a place here in Cache Valley called "Firefly Park."  

By the way, I am an amateur astronomer so I included both Jupiter and Saturn in the sky.  Of course, they don't look this clearly without a telescope but I drew them this way anyway.  The dots you see on both sides of Jupiter are its four Galilean moons that were discovered by Galileo.   

NOTE:  As mentioned above, to get this top page, in printable form, just click on the button labeled "Fantasy, Myths, and Circus" then scroll to the bottom of the drop-down menu.  The new drawing titles are always at the bottom of the list.  Below are some other Night Fairy or Firefly Fairy drawings from previous posts. 



Night Fairy




Male Firefly Fairy



Night Fairy with Moon Flowers




Night Flower Fairy with a Firefly





Night River Fairy on Pollination Patrol







Snail Fairy riding a Snail
(Snails are more active at night so Snail Faires are a type of Night Fairy.)





Coriander the Desert Fairy with Her Friend the Kangaroo Rat
(Desert Fairies are often Night Fairies since it is so much cooler at night in the desert.)




Fairy sitting on a Mushroom, hanging out with a Snail






Mushroom Fairy with a Mayfly
(Mayflies tend to be active at night so this Mushroom Fairy must also be a Night Fairy.)



Laurielle the Firefly Fairy
(This is another new drawing!)
(This is the surprise that I told you about at the top of the page!)

.  This is a new drawing based on a photo of my beautiful wife that was taken 40 years ago.
Of course, I can not capture her true beauty in a coloring page drawing.  But also, her true beauty lies not just in her considerable physical beauty (in my opinion) but her true beauty is also in her kind nature and amazing mind.  I am very blessed that she is in my life!  

In the drawing, the Fairy's left-wing is hidden behind the rock.  Laurielle is sitting on a small ledge of the rock.  Her wings, since she is a type of Night Fairy, are very moth-like.  
She is in Fairy size so she is about 5 inches tall.  I included Jupiter and its moons and Saturn in the drawing.  I drew this AFTER I posted the other new drawing.  I needed the distraction.  
When my trachea is hurting my drug of choice is drawing... or writing.  

This new drawing is at the very bottom of the list of printable drawings under the button labeled: Fantasy, Myths, and Circus."  Maybe I should add that it is at the bottom of the list as of 2/20/22... the day this post was made.   

No comments:

Post a Comment