Saturday, February 2, 2019

Kodiak Bear

Kodiak Bear Cub
(New drawing so at the bottom of the list of Animals and All Printables.)

This is a drawing inspired by the Disney movie, Brother Bear.  I love that movie and I watched it with my granddaughter today.  This is not one of the characters from the movie, but it is done in a similar style.  This bear cub is about 6-10 months old.  He is about to eat a fish, that was probably caught by his mother.  He is also sitting on a rock during the Alaskan summer.  

I first taught school in Juneau, Alaska.  These Kodiak bears can grow to be huge.  Only the Polar bear is a bigger land predator.  Kodiak males or boars can grew to be over 1,600 lbs or 726 kg.  The Polar bear can grow to be over 2,200 lbs or 997 kg.  Kodiak bears are basically Brown Bears  or Grizzly Bears.  The Kodiak is kind of a subspecies of Grizzly Bears.  Grizzly Bears and Kodiak Bears can be up to 10 feet or 3 meters tall when standing on their back legs.  Polar bears can be even taller at 11 feet or 3.4 meters.  


Grizzly mother and Cub
(This is an older drawing so it will be further up the lists.)  



By comparison, a Black bear only grows to be around 300 lbs, or 136 kg.   But some larger males have been up to 500-600 lbs. or 226-272 kg.   I will draw a Polar Bear and a Black Bear for a later post.  .   .  or maybe I will draw them tomorrow to add to this post.  If I do then I will rename this post as "Types of North American Bears."


No comments:

Post a Comment