Thursday, June 14, 2018

Avery the Flower Fairy and Dryad


Avery the Flower Fairy 

This is another drawing based on a grandniece who is a dancer.  She is named Avery.  She is shown as a small flower fairy in a dandelion.  The fairy wings are insect-like wings.  Because they are somewhat like a lacewing fly wings they are very transparent.  As far as dandelions, they get a raw deal.  Yes most of us don't want them in our lawn, but I remember gathering dandelions for my mom.  I also remember my own daughters gathering up the yellow dandelions that were blooming in our lawn and giving them to me or my wife.  The dandelion flower is a compound flower with many seeds coming from one flower.   Also, every part of the dandelion plant, from roots to blossoms are edible raw or cooked.

As far as the drawing, remember that a person is very difficult to draw perfectly with this medium of fine point Flair marker.  It is had to capture their true beauty with a fine point marker, but I do my best.  Also, I think true beauty is more than just physical.  A beautiful young woman or handsome young man who are selfish and unkind are not beautiful to me.  On the other hand, a kind young man or young woman with a good heart is beautiful no matter what their physical characteristics.



Dryads in mythology are a nymph or fairy inhabiting a tree or forests.  Usually the tree is an oak tree.  In fact, "dry" means oak in Greek.  But the term "dryad" has come to be used for all tree nymps, whether it is an oak tree, or birch tree, or maple tree etc.  Hamadryads were tree nymphs that lived in trees or around trees and were so connected to trees that if the tree died, so did the hamadryad.  So the Greek Gods would punish someone for harming a tree unless the mortal propitiated or made peace with the hamadryad who lived in or around the tree.  The dryad here is defending her tree so she has a very intense look.  I guess she must be a hamadryad since she is clearly part of the tree. 



Avery as a Dryad
(The likeness is not as good as the likeness in the other drawing,
 but I DID base the drawing on Avery's photo.)  


No comments:

Post a Comment