Friday, March 30, 2018

Mermaid chasing a Fish



Mermaid chasing a Fish

So, you will notice that this mermaid and the fairy has some features that indicate African American descent.  I will explain why.  A little 3 year old African American girl  asked me to draw her a mermaid and a fairy.  She is a relative of my nephew via marriage...so she FEELS like a relative as far as I'm concerned... She was very sweet and I decided to draw her a mermaid and a fairy that looked like her.  If you think this is original with me, think again.  Read the Brandon Mull series called "Fablehaven" and you will see that he depicts fairies as being of many different human races.  Lets face it folks, we are all the same species.

For example:  if a woman from China marries a man from Hawaiian Polynesian descent they can have children.  That makes them the same species.   That is the scientific argument.  I can also say that when I was teaching science in a Jr. High here in Salt Lake Valley, that many times kids of different races were best friends and their race was never an issue.

There is another argument by P.T. Barnum.  He pointed out, in a speech many years ago, that we all (whatever our race) are children of God.  I sincerely believe that and if you look at it another way, that makes us all Spirit Brothers and Sisters.   So it could be that the person who you don't like who is from a different ethnic background or etc.  MIGHT be someone you knew in our pre-Earth life.  So lets all try to get along.  It would make our Father in Heaven happy.

Maybe I should explain:  In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints or Mormons our doctrine teaches that we lived as Spirit Children of our Heavenly Father before we came to this Earth to be tested.  So that makes us ALL brothers and sisters. 

You may notice the large hands on the mermaid.  I thought of that as a possible evolutionary trait where having larger hands would help a mermaid catch fish or gather kelp in the kelp forest if they are herbivores or omnivores.  I did not really draw them intentionally that large, but as an evolutionary adapted trait of large hands made sense to me. . . so I left the large hands there.  I might change them one day, but really, not all people are born the same so maybe its is the same with mermaids and mermen.  And maybe  this mermaid's large hands are an anomaly or random genetic difference that is unique to her...and yet it will be a good adaptation so she will pass it on to her children and so on until all the mermaids have that trait.  That is called Natural Selection.  I would think that if mermaids were real that they would have a natural defense against sharks, like the reef shark in the drawing that is staying away from the mermaid.  Maybe mermaids have an ability to give an electric shock when they are threatened.




Fairy with a Young Unicorn

The printable versions of these drawings are found by clicking on the buttons labeled
 "Fantsy, Myths, and Circus.  The drawings will be at the bottom of the lists.  

No comments:

Post a Comment