Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Velociraptor in the Gobi Desert

Velociraptors were found in the Gobi Desert.  Of course who knows what the dinosaurs called that desert 66 million years ago.  There is strong evidence that they preyed on one of the earliest Ceratopsians called Protoceratops.  (They are in the background.)  This is a drawing of only one Velociraptor, but they almost certainly hunted and lived in packs.  .  .  like wolves probably.  The inside claw was the killer claw that the raptor dinos kept off the ground to keep it sharp.  The erupting volcano may or may not have been probable in the Gobi Desert back in the Cretaceous, but since the Cretaceous Period was very volcanically active,  the volcano is a possibility.


Velociraptor in the Gobi Desert

YES I know you noticed the feathers and maybe thought it was a road runner. . .  but strong evidence of feathered raptors has been found many times in China.   So as much as I like the movie Jurassic Park.   It's bald Velociraptors were almost certainly wrong.  Also, Velociraptors were closer to 6 feet long (about 2 meters) and only around 4 feet (1.22 meters) tall.  I should also mention that the Pterosaur I drew was also from the Cretaceous, Pteranodons were probably not found in the Gobi Desert, however, the Paleontologists HAVE found fossils of large pterosaurs there from the late Cretaceous Period. 

Funny side note, I loved dinosaurs so much as a kid that I used to pray to dream about dinosaurs.  When I was in college at BYU  I went and saw the movie Jurassic Park.  That night I FINALLY dreamed about dinosaurs...only in the dream I was being chased by a T. rex through downtown Provo, Utah...where Brigham Young University is located.  Still, I DID dream about dinosaurs finally!

No comments:

Post a Comment