Sunday, December 8, 2019

Brinkley the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel


Brinkley the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

Brinkley was the sweetest pet.  He was my sister's dog.  We took care of him once or twice when his family was going on vacation.  He passed away a day or two ago.  So I told my sister that I would draw him.  

The Cavelier King Charles Spaniel are known for being affectioinate, graceful, and gentle.  They tend to weigh between 13 and 18 lbs.  So they are a medium to small sized dog.  They usually live between 12 and 15 years.  Brikley was around for much of the "raising the kids" time of my sister's and her husband's life.  He was great with their kids.  He will be greatly missed.  

An interesting fact about the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is that they have traits of both a sporting breed and a toy breed.  So they are affectionate and cuddly like a toy breed but they are adventerous and athletic like a sporting dog.

NOTE:  The way this drawing turned out it looks like Brinkley as a puppy.  This drawing, in printable form, can be found by clicking on the top buttons labeled either. . . . . . Animals. . . . . or . . . . .
. . . . . All Printables.   The newest drawings are at the bottom of the drop down menu list of drawings.

My sister, Lollie, has written a poem about her doggy Brinkley.  So to help you understand the poem, here are a few facts:  This breed often have eye problems so Lollie or another family member had to put eyedrips in his eyes.  Our mother died many years ago.

When I Think of the Brink 
By Laura Joye Debenham


I wasn’t ready to let you go
I thought I was it wasn’t so

I look for you when I come home
But you’re not here and I’m alone

With you around I couldn’t be
So focused on no one but me

I had to care for little you
Feed and bathe and pick up poo

I knew you were a happy pup
Because your eyes were so dried up

The vet said tears you could not make
I dropped them in for your eyes sake

I didn’t mind this little chore
Alleviate your eyes, so sore

I’d love to do it one more time
Take your pain, let go of mine

With you always I could talk
Feel your joy in every walk

Watch you steal away each heart of
every life you were a part of

Mom once told me, (oh the nerve),
You only love the ones you serve

I know it should a comfort be
That you’re with her instead of me

Two souls who love me no matter what
My mama and my Brinkle Bwutt


No comments:

Post a Comment