Friday, August 28, 2020

Broad-Tailed Hummingbird coloring page

 


Today's new drawing is a 

Broad-Tailed Hummingbird.

In fact, it is two of them.


This is a FREE Coloring Pages blog.

There are over 1,000 free to print drawings 

on this blog. There are no ads and no fees.

Printable copies can be found

by clicking on the top button 

labeled "Animals."


Broad-Tailed Hummingbird

The Broad-Tailed Hummingbird lives in Western North America. They tend to live in mountains from Canada, south to the United States of America, and clear through Mexico into Guatemala.  The male has a red throat or gorget... and the female is more subdued in coloration.  The male is the bird in the background in this drawing.  The Female is the bird near the flowers and in the foreground.  

The Broad-Tailed Hummingbird is 4 inches long... or 10 cm long.  It has a wingspan of 5.25 inches or 13.3 cm.  Both the male and female have an iridescent green back.  They like to live under the canopy of forests.  They fly to Mexico and Guatemala in the fall...for the winter and return to breeding grounds further north in the spring.  

NOTE:  The printable version of this drawing can be found by clicking on the "Animals" button and scrolling down.  New drawings are at the bottom of the list.  Have fun coloring... and remember, the male has a red gorget or throat and he is in the background.  The female is in the foreground.  If I were you I would look up a photo of these birds before I colored them.  


Below are the photos I saw on a Facebook Group called "Utah Nature Lovers."  Photos are by Aliesha Shepherd, a gifted nature photographer. He photos inspired my drawing.  Her photos are used with her permission.  Be aware that her photos seen below are all of the female Broad-Tailed Hummingbirds.  I edited these pages or zoomed in to get the details.  I had to look at another photo to get the markings right for the male. 





Inspiration for my female drawing... although I added my own version of the flowers.



Initial inspiration for my male drawing... even though this is a female.







No comments:

Post a Comment