Monday, January 7, 2019

Swans

Swan and Cygnet
(This is the only new drawing today.  
It is found in printable form at the bottom of the list 
by clicking on the Animals or All Printables buttons up top.
NEW drawings are at the bottom of the lists.)

Swans are beautiful animals.  They are large water fowl with a graceful glide when in the water.  There are 3 species, not including a black swan species.  So I guess there are 4 species.  Some species are about 1.5 meters long.  That is about 5 feet long.  Their wing span can be up to 3.1 meters or 10 feet.  They can weigh up to 15 kg or 33 lbs.  They are some of the biggest flying birds in the world.   Black swans are found in Australia.  Some flocks of black swans have been brought to the USA and escaped.  So we once saw a flock of black swans near the mouth of the Columbia River.  I have seen a white swan take off from the water at a bird refuge in Northern Utah.  Personally, I think that there are few things more beautiful than a swan swimming or gliding through the water with its beautiful arched neck.  I also love the story of the Ugly Duckling.  Baby swans are called cygnets and cygnets look kind of awkward compared to a mature swan.  

I drew this top drawing the other day when I was in pain.  The thought of swans helps me deal with the pain I deal with much of the time.  In fact, I guess a pond or lake or river with swimming swans are my happy place.  I will need that happy place tomorrow.  I am having another trachea surgery to replace my tracheal stent.  So, if you are a person of faith I would ask for your prayers.  My name is Robin Lyman.  I am a retired Science teacher who is on disability due to heart failure and tracheal malacia.  I am the artist that drew all of the drawings on this blog.  My wife and I would love to be together for a few more years in mortality, although we also believe in eternal marriage.  This procedure also involves lasering out some scar tissue from my trachea.  That is kind of scary.  Still, I has a blessing a few days ago so I am hopeful that all will go well.  I HAVE had this procedure before.  I am very grateful for the blessings I have received over the years.  In fact, the doctors told me 14 years ago that I was not going to make it.  But then the Holy Ghost spoke to my soul and told me that it was OK to go. . . to die. . . but if I wanted to stay He would help me, but it would not be easy.   I had a 14 year old son who I felt needed me so I chose to stay.  Of course I also stayed for my young adult daughters and my lovely wife.  Again, that was 14 or so years ago, in Boston, when a surgical mesh surgery had gone very bad.  Myself and one other patient named Robin as well had a bad reaction to the tracheal mesh.  40 patients did well with the mesh procedure.  In any case, I think the Lord grew epithelial tissue into the gaping hole in my trachea and I got to keep on living.  The doctors did not think that was possible.  But with God anything is possible.  
Swan realistic
(This drawing was done from a photo so it is more accurate.)




This is not a printable drawing.  It was done for a neighbor girl and she colored it.  


Swan with Cygnet


Swan

No comments:

Post a Comment