Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Big Al the Allosaurus from the Museum of the Rockies

Today's newest coloring page I drew is of 

Big Al the Allosaurus from

the Museum of the Rockies.


 Big Al the Allosaurus from the Museum of the Rockies

We went to the Museum of the Rockies in Bozeman, Montana, a couple of weeks ago... on my birthday. I am a certified dinosaur nut, so this was a perfect activity for my 65th birthday. The around 1000 dinosaur coloring pages on this site are pretty good evidence for how much I love dinosaurs. 

Big Al was a sub-adult or very young adult Allosaurus. It died from probably a broken and infected toe. This obviously made it impossible for him to hunt prey. Big Al's fossilized skeleton was found in Wyoming, USA. He, or his fossilized skeleton, is found at the Museum of the Rockies in Bozeman, Montana. 

There is an excellent TV show about Big Al. It is called Walking With Dinosaurs Special: The Ballad of Big Al. I HIGHLY recommend this video. It includes a "making of the film" that explains how the science worked. 

Big Al was around 25 feet, or 8 meters long. He died young. He was 60-70% the size of a full adult Allosaurus. 19 of his bones showed signs of being infected or having once been broken. It lived a rough and short life. He may have weighed up to 1850 kg or about 4079 lbs. 

The Sauropod dinosaurs in the background are a Diplodocus and a young Brachiosaurus. Both are seen feeding on cycad trees. 

NOTE: This coloring page, in printable form, is found by clicking on the "Paleontology" button. Then scroll down to the bottom of the "Mesozoic Life" section. IF you are accessing this site in late September or October 2026, then this title will be at or near the bottom of that section of the list. Have fun coloring Big Al.  One other note: I based part of this drawing on the life-sized model or bust of Big Al's head that is at the Museum of the Rockies. The artists involved were Brian Engh, Larissa Fardelos, Youseff, and enhancements by Dane Johnson.  Below are two older drawings I did of Big Al. So, their printable pages will be found further up the Paleontology list of titles. I will admit that the drawing or coloring page that I posted today is more accurate because the model I based part of it on was scientifically accurate - based upon scans of Big Al's fossilized skull.  


Big Al the Allosaurus with Rhamphorhynchus



Big Al

No comments:

Post a Comment