Sunday, August 13, 2017

Harry Potter faces the Boggart

Hey to all my English speaking guests.... I am still doing posts in English.  I just decided to try my hand at some posts in other languages, since I have hits from countries all over the world.  I have family and friends who speak English...of course, Portuguese, German, and French...and I speak Spanish.  So I may do more of that but my largest posts will always be in English.

Harry Potter faces a Boggart

This is a quick drawing of Harry Potter facing the boggart that has taken on the appearance of a Dementor.  IF you are a Harry Potter fan you know that a boggart shows you your greatest fear.  I think if they were real a boggart facing me would turn into either a large Black Widow spider, or a rabid dog, or an operating room... Probably the operating room.  When you have had as many surgeries as I have you may be used to operating rooms, but they are still very scary!  I breathe through a tracheotomy tube and my heart beats regularly because of an electronic pacemaker.  They tell me that I may need a heart transplant one day, but I won't qualify because of the surgical mesh in my trachea.  I keep on moving ahead because as was said in the Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them movie..."If you worry you suffer twice."

So I keep writing in my blog, playing harmonica, and most importantly hanging out with my wife, grown kids, and grandkids.  We also are trying to visit as many of our relatives as we can.  We are going to Southern Utah tomorrow to see my brother and his family, and to Wyoming on Thursday to see my wife's brother and many of his family. . . (and we want to see the total eclipse)
There is a total eclipse here in North America on August 21st.

So, back to the drawings.  Harry fears boggarts but Professor Lupin thought that he would fear Voldemort.   Lupin says that Harry fears fear.  .   . and that Harry is very wise.  Harry produces a patronus to protect himself.  Later he produces a corporeal patronus...that is, a patronus  with an animal shape.  Harry's patronus is a stag or male deer.  Here in America we tend to call them bucks.  In Book 5 Harry trains many other students on how to create their own patronus.

Robin's greatest fears: 
Black Widow Spider
I had a basement room and there were black widow spiders in the window well.  Fortunately they never got into my room.  When I lived in the desert area of  California my garage was infested with black widows.  One was even on the floor of my car one morning.  My daughter saw it as we were driving and she screamed.   I have never been bit by a black widow spider, nor has any of my family, but they still give me the creeps.  


Rabid Dog
When I was six and living in Guatemala I saw a rabid dog die.  It freaked me out so much that to this day I am scared of dogs that I have not met.  So when I MEET a dog with the owner and pet it, then I am fine.  But a dog on its own growling or barking at me still is pretty rough on my embedded "six year old" memories.  Don't get me wrong, I love dogs.  My family has had a dog all of my youth and as an adult I have had a dog the majority of the time.   



Operating Room
To be fair, I have always been treated very well by the respiratory therapists, nurses, surgical techs and doctors in every operating room where I was the patient.  But when they have had to carve you up as much as I have been, you don't exactly LIKE operating rooms,  (even though operations saved my life many times and I am grateful.) 

 Now I am going to tell you a true story.  I was in an operating room in Boston and I felt a sting on the back of my thigh.  Out from under my hospital gown crawled a centipede.  It scurried across the table and crawled down the side.  I was a science teacher and I had taught about centipedes. . . so I knew what it was.  It had a forked tail and two legs per body section.  It is in Class:  Diplopoda.  The nurses would not believe me, but when I woke up from the anesthesia there was a huge welt on the back of my thigh.  Notice the centipede on the operating table.  

Note:  These drawings were all done in fun and kind of quickly so don't be too critical. . . I just felt like having fun.  I just survived...I think... another health crisis with my windpipe.. . or trachea.  So I needed to blow off some steam.   Have fun coloring them if you like to color.  Make sure you color the hourglass on the abdomen of the Black Widow.  The hourglass should be bright red in color.  


No comments:

Post a Comment