Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Butterfly Fairies


I guess you could call this entry tonight "Butterfly Fairies and Other Fairies. 


 
Fairy Sitting Under a Tree By a River

My grandniece in Wyoming wanted a picture of a butterfly...well, she said she liked butterflies so I drew her a butterfly wing fairy.  There are many ways to draw fairies but I really like this style, more realistic and hopefully showing fairies as beautiful.  I also think that there would be both male and female fairies.  Not everyone would agree with me on this.  Fairies are supposed to be magical creatures who can wield great power from time to time.  Well, at least that is the way they are in Fablehaven... a good fantasy book series.  As I have said before, the movie The Magical Legend of the Leprechaun points out that Leprechauns are also fairies.  That movie has Trooping Fairies that remind me of the Elves in Lord Of The Rings.   One of the cool things in Fablehaven is that fairies are not all tiny toothpicks with Caucasian colored skin.  Since we humans come in all sizes and shapes and colors I think fairies would come in many shades and sizes.   I liked that about the Fablehaven novels.

Fairy with a Robin

To me fairies have light magic and not dark magic.  However, I must admit that I have seen people draw dark fairies that are impressive.  Even so, I probably won't draw dark fairies.  Although I must admit that Maleficent was an impressive dark fairy in the Disney films she was in.  I really liked her more in the movie Maleficent.  Of course in that movie she was not that dark after all.  Maybe I will have to rethink the drawing of dark fairies...but not too dark.  Do the wings on the fairy with the robin seem like dark fairy wings?  Does the river fairy below seem dark to you?  She is definitely dirty.  I figure a River Fairy would take care of the river, and take care of the plants by the river...so she or he might get muddy.  They might actually like playing in the mud too.

River Fairy after playing in the mud

Sometimes it is fun to draw a stylized picture.  The below drawing is of a Flower Fairy, done in a stylized way.  She is with a butterfly, so she's probably in charge of pollination.


Color these fairies any way you like.   All of the above fairies were drawn very recently.  The below fairies were drawn in the past and posted in the pass, however, I thought I'd re-post them today.  Some are quite well done.  Especially the fairy with the baby dragon.

Auburn Fairy

Elegant Fairy and Baby Dragon


Fairy and a Unicorn

Fairy with Wasp and Flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment