Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Fairy named Celest



Fairy named Celest

I imagined that this fairy has used magic to make her near  human sized.  She is a forest fairy.  Celest is a real person.  She posed for a photograph so I could do this drawing.  I met her at a family wedding.  She is the bride's best friend.  She is a lovely African American.  I drew her as a fairy, but in a coloring page quality of drawing it is difficult to capture the beauty of a real person.  It kind of bothers me how you rarely see fairies drawn with races other than white. I am white...mostly.  But, I am also part Native American.  In fact, I read somewhere that around 80% of Americans are part native American.  To me it is great to know about your family history.  For us Americans it usually shows how diverse we are.  My wife found out from her DNA testing that she is like half German.  She did not know this.  She also found out that she is 5% Irish and around 25% Norwegian, some Swedish and some English.  The Irish genes are probably because Vikings used to kidnap people from Ireland.  I am part Iroquois Native American, English, Spanish, Danish, and Welch plus to my surprise I am a small percent Russian.  In my opinion we should celebrate our diversity! 

In the Fablehaven book series the Fairies are from different parts of the world and so they are made up of fairies from Europe, Africa, Latin America, Native American, Arabian, etc. ancestry.  That makes sense to me.  Many cultures around the world have stories of fairies and or little people.  So it makes sense that not all fairies would be only of European ancestry.

No comments:

Post a Comment