Sunday, January 28, 2018

Argentinosaurus and Argentinadraco


NOTE:  The printable version of the drawing is found by clicking the Paleontology button or the All Printable button and in both cases scrolling down.  New drawings are listed last in the lists.


Argentinosaurus Feeding on a Cycad Tree

Argentinosaurus was an enormous Sauropod dinosaur.  It was a species of Patagonia.  Until a few months ago it was thought to be the largest dinosaur ever to live and walk the Earth.  Getting to see this dinosaur...well, its fossilized remains or its model of those bones was on my bucket list.  A bucket list is what you will do before you kick the bucket.  People like me with very serious health issues sometimes make a bucket list.  There is an excellent movie (in my opinion) that is actually called The Bucket List.

In Southeast Germany I got to see a bucket list item.  I got to see an Argentinosaurus.  I was so shocked that I actually cried a little.  This is a panoramic picture of me under the giant Sauropod's neck.   I am several feet in front of the neck so actually I come up to only just past the ankle of this huge animal.  I contacted my niece and her husband to find out the name of the museum.  It is near Ramstein Germany.  They just responded and the name of the museum is Gondwanna Praehistorium.  The museum also had an animatronic show of a larger sauropod defending her baby and fighting off two theropods.  The large Sauropod is a Argentinosaurus I think.  The first of the two Theropods is Mapusaurus.  The Gondwana Praehistorium is located in Schiffweiler (Sarland) in Germany.

Argentinosaurus vs Maposaurus Dino Fight

Argentinosaurus Skeleton


The Pterasaur in the drawing is from the same time period and the same part of the world as Argentinosaurus.  Both animals are named for the country of Argentina.  Its discovery was announced one year ago.  It has a very cool name:  Argentinodraco.  It had an unusual lower jaw.  This was not a Pteranodon but it was similar.  Argentinadraco means Dragon of Argentina.  The full scientific name is:  Argentinadraco barrealensis.


No comments:

Post a Comment