Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Swans



Swan swimming


Swan photo in pond
(Drawing was done from this photo.)

In my opinion swans are the most beautiful of all birds.  They have a long graceful neck.  They glide in the water like a beautiful luxury yacht.  And swans are spectacular in their white or black plumage.  Black swans are native to the Southern Hemisphere.  The black swan is native to Australia and some surrounding islands, however, some black swans have been captured and taken to England and some escaped to form stable populations or local flocks.  

It is not generally known, but there is also a local flock near the mouth of the Columbia River in the Great Northwest, states of Oregon and Washington.  I know because my wife and I saw them when we went there a few years ago.  

White swans come in a few different species.  They are native to North America, Europe, and Asia, primarily in temperate or Northern climates.  They are not generally found in the tropics.  

This top picture is new.  It is inspired by a swan I saw on Music And The Spoken Word.  That is a TV and Radio broadcast of the Tabernacle Choir At Temple Square.   The swan was so beautiful that I took a photo of my TV screen and drew the beautiful swan.  My wife had the flu at the time and I was worried that I might be contagious so we both stayed home from church that day.  This was a few weeks ago.  

Swans are one of the largest flying birds.  They are waterfowl.  They can have a wingspan of 10 feet or 3.1 meters.  I have seen a swan take off from a nearby bird sanctuary.  It was a beautiful sight... one I will never forget.  

Swan chicks are called cygnets.  They are famous for being the 'ugly duckling."  Of course the ugly duckling grew up to be a beautiful adult swan.  

Below are some drawings from previous posts.  All are of swans.  The top drawing is the only new drawing on this post. To find the printable version of the drawings click on one of the top buttons labeled . . .. . . . . . . . . . .All Printables. . . . . . or . . . . . . Animals.  

Black Swan in River
(so color this one black)

Black Swan at Willow Park Zoo, Logan, Utah
(The black swan was drawn from a photo of this black swan.)

Swan realistic



Swan and Cygnet


Swan





No comments:

Post a Comment