Friday, November 30, 2018

Put Me In The Zoo book review and coloring page

Put Me In The Zoo book cover

The book Put Me In The Zoo is a Beginner Books classic.  It was written and illustrated by Robert Lopshire and was first published before I was born.  It was published in 1960.  This book has fairly simple cartoon-like illustrations but they work for kids.  It has an animal named Spot that wants to live in the zoo.  Ok, he is not really named Spot in the book, but when my wife was reading the book to our daughter years ago she named him Spot.  So I shall call him Spot.  Anyway, Spot is not allowed to live in the zoo.  In fact, when Spot asks to live there the zookeepers carry him out . . . AKA throw him out of the zoo.  Then he meets what appears to be a brother and sister. . . two children and they ask him why he wants to live in the zoo and what can he do.  Then Spot proceeds to do amazing things with his spots.  He can change the spots' color, move his spots to other objects or even people, make them tall or small, make them fly, etc.  In the end he goes somewhere other than the zoo where he is very happy because it is a great fit for him.  Speaking as a former kindergarten and first grade teacher, I think these Beginner Books are excellent and they hold the kids' interest. d The words and sentences are readable by beginning readers.  By the way, I heard that Dr. Seuss edited this book.  

Spot plush or stuffed animal from Kohl's

I highly recommend this children's book.  It is my granddaughters favorite book for me to read to her.  Kohls, a department store, often has kid books and a plush to go with them.  We have purchased these for our grand-kids whenever we see them.  So today I sat with my grand-kids. . . there are two of them, and read the book while my granddaughter held "Spot,"  Afterwards I drew something that looks quite a lot like Spot.  This was for my granddaughter to color.  


Spot, from Put Me In The Zoo
You can color this with the spots all one color or use many different colors.  
The rest of Spot's fur is yellow.   Or do your picture any way you like.  

NOTE:  the printable version of the drawing of Spot is found by clicking one of the buttons up top.  It is a new drawing so it is at the bottom.  I decided to put the drawing under 3 buttons:  Animals,  Fantasy Myths and Circus, and All Printables.   Spot is on the Animal page because he IS an animal, although we are not sure what kind.  He is on the Fantasy Myths and Circus page because he (SPOILER ALERT) winds up living and happily performing at the circus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment