Wednesday, August 21, 2019

More Wedge-tailed Eagles





Wedgea-tailed Eagle flying Low

I drew the Wedge-tailed Eagle BEFORE we went to Australia.  Now that I have seen the largest bird of prey in Australia. . . I thought I could do better.  These two drawings of the Wedge-tailed Eagle are based on photos I took while on our AAT Kings bus tour from Adelaide to Darwin.  We saw a lot of these big beautiful birds.  



Wedge-tailed Eagle Feeding on a Wallaby

This Wedge-tailed Eagle was feeding on carrion by the side of the road.  I managed to get a quick photo of it.  The photo was not perfect because the bus was moving.  The animal that is being eaten is either a small kangaroo or more likely a wallaby.  The marsupial was probably killed by a car or road train.  A road train is a semi-truck with several trailers.  They are rather impressive.  

Road Train photos from the Internet follow.   









Wedge-tailed Eagle soaring

This last drawing was posted before.  I drew it before we went to Australia.  I think it helped to see the actual animal in the flesh.  In my opinion this drawing is not quite as good as the other later drawings.  



No comments:

Post a Comment