Wednesday, December 20, 2017

NIke or Victory the Favorite of Zeus

Nike is not just a brand of athletic clothing.  Nike is from Greek Mythology.  She was or is...  the daughter of the goddess Styx and the Titan Pallas.  She and her sisters are often seen next to the king of the gods, Zeus.  She was considered to be a favorite of Zeus.  Nike is also the Goddess of Speed, Strength and Victory.  The Romans called her Victoria, which means Victory.   The famous statue at the Paris museum, called the Louvre, has no head.  It was probably broken off before the statue was collected.  Her arms are broken off as well.   I chose to draw in intact Nike based on a small statue of her that I purchased in Europe last month.  It is a gift to one of my daughters.  I am planning on doing a detailed drawing of Nike and my model will be a dancer from our Mediterranean cruise.   The original statue is huge.  I'm guessing it is about 10 feet or 3.048 meters tall!





Nike or Victory at The Louvre






Nike or Victory

No comments:

Post a Comment