Friday, April 14, 2017

Country Bunny

Remember to check out the song parody at the bottom of this post.  



Country little girl Bunny
Today's post is in honor of the great children's book, The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes. I first read this as a kid myself.  It tells the story of a country bunny who is scoffed at for aspiring to be one of the 5 Easter Bunnies.  It is a tale of following your dreams and of being brave, wise, swift and kind.  She grows up and gets married and has 21 babies.  Then she teaches them to help around the house.   (NOTE to parents:  A study was done on successful people and they had only one thing in common:  They all had chores to do when they were kids.)  Eventually Mrs. Bunny's kindness, wisdom and swiftness makes her so impressive to old Grandfather Bunny that she gets to be one of the Easter Bunnies!

I was a country kid, with big dreams myself.  I find this book inspiring so I read it to MY kids when they were growing up.  I read it to my students when I was still teaching.  I also wrote a song parody to the tune of "On Top Of Old Smokey."  I sang the song with my own kids and my students.  I am including the song parody here if you want to sing it with your kids or students.   My daughter helped me write a couple of additional verses last year.  I think this is especially inspiring for little girls.  .   . but as a little country boy I liked it too.


The Amazing Book, The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes

 I see the book every year at this time, Easter time, at Barnes and Noble.  It is also available on Amazon.com.  I highly recommend it!


My drawings from this post are fan art, they ARE inspired by the book The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes, but they are done in my style and they are certainly not exact copies.  

Country Bunny taught her kids to work.



Country Bunny delivering Easter Eggs

Country Bunny Song
Sung to the tune of:  On Top Of Old Smokey
Copyright by Robin Andrew Lyman 1987 verses 1-3
Copyright 2016 by Robin Andrew Lyman & Kimberly Sullivan,  verses 4 and 5

A small country bunny
Said I'm going to be
A great Easter Bunny
Just you wait and see

She had twenty one babies
She was wise swift and kind
She was the best mother
Grandfather could find

He made her a bunny
Who brought all the eggs
And gave her some gold shoes
When she hurt her leg

Other Easter Bunnies
Really did not mind
Cause to be Easter Bunnies
You're wise swift and kind

So if you're some-bunny
Who has a big dream
You may turn out to be
Much more than you seem

No comments:

Post a Comment